A clean desk doesn’t just feel nice — it communicates professionalism, reduces your stress, helps you keep track of your important tasks, and saves you the time that you would have spent hunting for lost files and sticky notes. Try out these strategies to transform your workspace and your work life:
* Use a bulletin board to keep assorted papers from piling up on your desk. If it’s important enough to keep, pin it to the board, but if not, chuck it into the wastebasket.
* Try a hanging closet organizer — the type with clear plastic pockets for shoes or other small items — to store extra office supplies. Hang it on the wall or the back of your door, or if you work from home, just stick it in the closet.
* Utilize the space under your desk. A small cabinet or shelf under your desk could be a storage lifesaver.
* Use wall space. You can mount shelving, hooks for cables and headphones, or white boards for making notes. You can even buy wall-mounted organizers to stash your supplies or planters to brighten your space.
* Speaking of plants or other decorative items, try to minimize them on your desk. A nice plant stand or stylish wall-mounted shelves will give your office some color without sacrificing desk space.
* Create extra desk space with risers for laptops and monitors.
* Stash a few cleaning supplies within easy reach so you can quickly wipe away dust or clean up coffee rings.