Regular exercise is a versatile weapon in the fight against chronic pain. It may seem difficult to start, but your body will thank you, say the Mayo people. What exercise can do:
* It increases endorphins, which are the body’s natural pain relievers.
* Exercise builds strength, which takes the load off bones and cartilage.
* It increases flexibility when you exercise. That means joints are able to move through their full range of motion and are less likely to ache or be painful.
* It increases your energy level and gives you the strength to cope with life and with pain.
* It helps you maintain a healthy weight and contributes to better sleep.
* It enhances your mood and gives a sense of well-being. You look better and have the confidence to continue.
* Exercise protects the heart.